Thursday, May 19, 2011

13 weeks and counting...

So I am officially on the last week of my first trimester with 27 weeks left to go! It's hard to believe that the beginning of my second trimester is just around the corner. Time went by so slow the first few weeks but it's starting to pick-up now.  Maybe it's because my to-do list keeps growing and the time frame I have left to do it in keeps shrinking. I know it'll all get done eventually. I've been focusing on house projects that need to be done such as; yard re-mulched, flowers planted, wedding album made, etc. I'm trying to get all the daunting stuff (like organizing night stand drawers or cleaning out the closet) done now so I can focus on the nursery and such once the 20 week mark hits.

I was talking to LeAnn today about how the reality of being a parent has just begun to hit me this week. Being a mother has been one of my main goals in life ever since I can remember AND it's also the most important thing I will ever do (scary!) so I don't want to take the responsibility lightly.

Renee recently gave me the first of many journals to read that she kept from the time she became our mother until now. It highlights the good, the bad and the ugly of parenthood. Let's just say that reading it is probably what made the reality of this whole thing fall on me this week. I'm not as worried about the newborn/toddler stage as I am the adolescent/teen/college years when you "lose" your child temporarily. I think that's more with girls rather than boys (from what I hear) but nonetheless it didn't sound like a fun time in my parents' lives. I had no idea the emotional turmoil I put them through.  I was so oblivious to it (selfish). I think I'm leaning towards hoping for a boy this week. ;)

Question: Where do you find the balance of being someone your child can come to with anything and yet still be an authoritative parent? My parents both found that sweet spot with us and I want to know how to get there. After talking to my friend Kelli at work today I was reminded that so much of who your child is going to be in the end is out of your control.  All you can do is be the best parent you can be (which doesn't mean perfection) and hope that some of what you have instilled in them will stick.

I think the most important thing that my parents did and still do is lead by example. I know without a doubt that I learned more by watching what my parents DID versus what they told me to do. Hmmmm?

My dad often says, "Life is simple-don't make it complicated." Maybe this whole raising a child thing is simple too and I'm just over thinking it! I feel better already.

What I've learned so far about being a parent:
-As a mom you won't ever have enough time to do everything or be everything so as soon as you accept that reality, the better off you'll be. (Teacher=LeAnn)
-Be the kind of mom that works for YOU and just bring your kids along for the ride. (Teacher=Kelli)
-You will sacrifice on a daily basis for your child but it's all worth it. (Teacher=Kari)

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Jilly! You're going to be a GREAT mommy!And...you're a great writer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is NOT from someone named "nan" It is from me "LeAnn" ...I need to figure this thing out!

    ReplyDelete